Between Thought and Expression

An eclectic guide to life's musical journey.

  Menu    <<Home   Audio   Electronic   Film   Hip-Hop   Humor   Indie Rock   Mash-Ups   MP3s   Pop   Videos 


Monday, September 05, 2005

Katrina

I apologize for the hiatus in posting. It's been a brutal couple of weeks of work (logged between 170-190 hours the last two weeks). Next month should be better. Between work and keeping up with all the tragic news of the past week, I haven't had much time to take care of y'all. I must say that I am truly heartbroken by the tragedy of Katrina and the people directly and indirectly affected by it. I know a few who narrowly escaped. I hope you will join me in supporting rescue and relief efforts.


Katrina slams N.O. music scene

But it was not just well-known musicians who were missing or displaced. The Gulf Coast, and in particular the New Orleans region, is also home to a thriving community of local musicians who make a living playing jazz, zydeco and Cajun music, especially for tourists.

"I just can't get ahold of anyone," said Jonno Frishberg, a 45-year-old fiddler who earns his livelihood playing Cajun music gigs. "You're talking about a whole community of musicians like me, with no unemployment insurance and no way to make a living." Frishberg and his wife and two children are all safe. "If I didn't have kids, I'd be looking to head far away from here," he says. "I'll still have to go on the road to make a living. I'm just looking for a way to feed my family."


Do You Know What It Means to Lose New Orleans?
Anne Rice's tragic commentary.
You looked down on us; you dismissed our victims; you dismissed us. You want our Jazz Fest, you want our Mardi Gras, you want our cooking and our music. Then when you saw us in real trouble, when you saw a tiny minority preying on the weak among us, you called us "Sin City," and turned your backs.

Well, we are a lot more than all that. And though we may seem the most exotic, the most atmospheric and, at times, the most downtrodden part of this land, we are still part of it. We are Americans. We are you.


Kanye West blasts Bush
SOHH's take on Kanye
Stream Kanye West blasting Bush about Katrina
Whatever you think of 'Late Registration', classic or mundane, you have to salute Kanye for ignoring NBC's hollow prepackaged teleprompted message and speaking his mind.
I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family, it says, "They're looting." You see a white family, it says, "They're looking for food." And, you know, it's been five days [waiting for federal help] because most of the people are black. And even for me to complain about it, I would be a hypocrite because I've tried to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what is the biggest amount I can give, and just to imagine if I was down there, and those are my people down there. So anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help -- with the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. I mean, the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way -- and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us!
...
George Bush doesn't care about black people!


Jay-Z & Diddy Donate $1 Million, But Racism Said To Be Thwarting Hurricane Relief Efforts

An open letter to W, from the Times-Picayune

Just one of thousands of tragic stories
His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, “Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?” and he said, “Yeah, Mama, somebody’s coming to get you.” Somebody’s coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Friday… and she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night! [Sobbing] Nobody’s coming to get us. Nobody’s coming to get us...


Alex Chilton sighting, perhaps he's OK after all

Hurricane relief for musicians


The controversial AP/AFP/Yahoo captions, Flickr-ized.

Apparently, FEMA stands for Florida Emergency Management Agency. Let their rap edumacate you on their governmental function.

Take away money from federal disaster relief and this is what you get...



Was it really unforseeable?  Read these articles from last year...

A Disaster Waiting to Happen - September 28, 2004

Disaster in the Making - October 5, 2004

Aside from 'homeland security', the hurricane aftermath pretty much sums up W's domestic policy.  It's too bad your governor ain't named Jeb.

CNN anchor Jeff Cafferty: "I'm 62 and I remember the riots in Watts, I remember the earthquake in San Francisco...I have never, ever seen anything as badly bungled and poorly handled as this situation in New Orleans. Where the hell is the water for these people. Why can't sandwiches be dropped to those people that are in that Superdome down there...This is Thursday...This storm happened five days ago. It's a disgrace and don't think the world isn't watching..."

White House Enacts a Plan to Ease Political Damage
Sorry, Mr. Rove. There is no way to 'spin' this. Sit and spin ..|..
In a reflection of what has long been a hallmark of Mr. Rove's tough political style, the administration is also working to shift the blame away from the White House and toward officials of New Orleans and Louisiana who, as it happens, are Democrats.


Time: The Aftermath

DJMonsterMo | 2:49 PM |

Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus