- Basement Jaxx - Hush Boy (soulseekerz mix) (MP3)
This mix is everything I had hoped the original would be. Sure to rock a dancefloor near you.
- Come to think of it, I've never seen Matthew Bellamy and Gwen Stefani together in the same room. Eerie... Matthew Bellamy of Muse + 120% pitch shift = Gwen Stefani
- One-Handed 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solved in 20.09 seconds
Wow, I couldn't do it in 2 hours unless I rearranged all the stickers.
Thursday, August 24, 2006
- Can Vinyl Survive? Yea - Nay
Great articles from the Resident Advisor site.
IMHO, there is no medium for DJing that has the tactile responsiveness of vinyl, not even DJ CD players or technology like FinalScratch. I do have to admit though that vinyl is bulky, heavy, and expensive. It has become fairly easy for emerging DJs to abandon vinyl altogether. The stigma of digital is all but gone. The barriers to entry have been reduced and the age of the iPod DJ is upon us. There is already an oversaturation of DJs and sadly, the mystique of the DJ is slowly waning. The day has come where the typical DJ is relegated to his/her dark booth, blundering around in the background of a once beloved nighttime haunt surrounded by unappreciative patrons that drop shitty requests all night. As for the DJ dilettantes: the barrage of requests, the empty dance floor, and the crowd of people standing against the wall with their arms folded means you probably suck. If DJing is simply about convenience and paying the bills, the art of DJing is in danger of being lost in the mix of things.
- If you like Azure Ray, you should probably check out Trentalange
Trentalange - Lonely Land
This song is begging for inclusion in a soundtrack. I'm thinking a dark scene with two lovers breaking up.
Trentalange - Take Me Home
Starts off with a disembodied Elastica-like guitar riff, then dreamily loafs along before picking up again.
And two more:
Trentalange - Rabbit
Trentalange - Monster
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
- Weird Al - Don't Download This Song (MP3)
Weird Al is back in a big way with this hilarious ode to file-sharing.
- J Dilla - Love feat. Pharoahe Monche (MP3)
RIP my man.
- Zero 7 - Futures (Rub n Tug remix)
This one features Jose Gonzalez!
- Lily Allen is playing Chicago! <3 <3 <3
Sun, 08 Oct 2006 Mod Clun Theatre Toronto
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 Hiro Ballroom New York
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 Popscene San Francisco
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 Troubadour Los Angeles
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 Double Door Chicago
- Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless
I say modern Dylan is rubbish. Pre-1977 is still good in my book.
Saturday, August 19, 2006 Gnarls Biggie - Can I Get With Ya Crazy Butt
This is a fun mash-up to brighten a rare cloudy Chicago day. We've had great weather this summer. [via The Gnotorious Gnarls Biggie]
Page France - Junkyard (MP3), Stereolab - Ping Pong (video), Bring Me the Head of Charlie Brown (video)
- Page France - Junkyard
Page France's latest full length, "Hello Dear Wind" will be
re-released on the 12th of September on Suicide Squeeze Records. This song is bound to get you hooked on their sound.
- Stereolab - Ping Pong (video)
Check out the video for Stereolab's 'Ping Pong'. The Stereolab anthology 'Serene Velocity' comes out August 29th.
- Bring Me the Head of Charlie Brown
Charles Schulz would be very disappointed in this parody.
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
- The Catbirdseat has a new song from the Sprites, "I Started A Blog Nobody Read". I think that most bloggers will find something to like about this tune.
- 50 of the Worst Band Names
I don't think ":wumpscut:" is that bad. "Test Icicles", I do agree with though.
- Teddybears mash-up
The Teddybears video mash-up includes scenes from Raging Bull, Clockwork Orange, Scarface, West Side Story, etc. A nifty promo viral vid.
Friday, August 11, 2006
- Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (richard vission remix)
Richard Vission provides a decent house interpretation of the tune.
- Viva Voce - When Planet's Collide (MP3)
Mix dreamy shoegazer elements with plain indie rock goodness and we have a winning combo. This Barsuk band is touring with the Silversun Pickups.
- Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin' (video)
- Brazilian Girls - Jique
If you think you might like Bonde Do Role with an edge, check out Brazilian Girls
- Touch and Go are having their 25th anniversary celebration in Chicago!
Here's a documentary about the long journey.
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
- Nah Right has two new Outkast tunes:
Hollywood Divorce (feat. Lil Wayne and Snoop)
and my new favorite off Idlewild: The Train (feat. Scar and Sleepy Brown)
- If you watch the Ali G Show: you've got to check out the full Borat trailer!
Even if you're not a fan, you still might enjoy this.
- Hmm, the Bumbershoot lineup looks pretty darn good...the highlight being A Tribe Called Quest's comeback. I can't wait to see them when they come to Chi-Town.
Of potential interest: The Gossip, Blondie, Jamie Lidell, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, Alejandro Escovedo, Rogue Wave, Of Montreal, Badly Drawn Boy, The New Pornographers, Spoon, Kanye, Matt Costa, Mates of State, Zero 7, Jose Gonzalez, Steve Miller Band, ATCQ, Feist, The BellRays, Nouvelle Vague, Metric, CocoRosie
Waiting for Wolf Parade.
Wolf Parade MP3s
Wolf Parade were really loud and really good. I wish Metro had turned down the instruments a tad and boosted the vocals. They were a bit washed out. That being said, Wolf Parade put on a fun show and the crowd was definitely into it. Metro is an intimate venue with an impressive 36-speaker EV system that will blow your eardrums out. I just wish there were more chairs. Still, it wasn't too bad on the balcony and I had a clear view of the stage. They played all their best tracks, including my favorites: "Dear Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts" (if I remember right, they opened with this), "Shine a Light", "You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son", "I'll Believe In Anything" (which closed their regular set), and a mind-blowing marathon version of "Dinner Bells" (yes, even longer than the studio version; this closed their encore). They also played some new songs, whetting our appetite for new studio material.
Friday, August 04, 2006
- Emily Haines - The Lottery [via]
- Emily Haines - Our Hell (stream)
Emily, why all the downers? Come play Chicago soon.
- RIP, Arthur Lee
'Forever Changes' is still mind-blowing.
- Lollapalooza traffic is a nightmare. I'm gonna run you hosers outta town! I'm not spending $60 for tonight's lineup. Too bad I'm on call tomorrow, so I'll be going on Sunday to Hot Chip - Ben Kweller - Andrew Bird - The Shins - Of Montreal - Wilco - Broken Social Scene - Red Hot Chili Peppers on almost no sleep after working 32 straight hours. Yay! I'm really bummed about having to miss Feist, The New Pornographers, and Sonic Youth. =( =(
- If you thought the house from Old School was a party house: check this out
- Pretend you're working...view websites as if they were Word documents: workFRIENDLY - BETA