- Jeff Mangum and Neutral Milk Hotal demos, vids, and boots
A nice assortment of NMH rarities here.
- Jenny Lewis: on NPR
Also, download the entire Rabbit Fur Coat album (well, almost) for free and legally: here
- Morrissey questioned by FBI
- Sex Pistols tell Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to piss off
Next to the SEX PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your [sic] museum. Urine in wine. Were [sic] not coming. Were [sic] not your monkey and so what?"
- MPAA targets torrent sites
- iTunes tops 1 billion songs
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs US Tour Dates
23 - Maxwell's Hoboken, NJ - SOLD OUT!
24 - Bowery Ballroom New York, NY - SOLD OUT!
25 - Bowery Ballroom New York, NY - SOLD OUT!
27 - Logan Square Auditorium Chicago, IL - SOLD OUT!
1 - Bimbo's 365 Club San Francisco, CA - SOLD OUT!
2 - 6 Bimbo's 365 Club San Francisco, CA - SOLD OUT!
4 - Troubadour West Hollywood, CA - SOLD OUT!
5 - Troubadour West Hollywood, CA
3 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
5 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero
7 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
8 - Montreal, QUE Metropolis
10 - Toronto, ONT - Kool Haus
11 - Royal Oak, MI - Royal Oak Music Theatre
12 - Cleveland, OH - Agora Theatre
14 - Chicago, IL - Riviera
15 - Milwaukee, WI - Riverside Theatre
16 - Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
18 - Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
19 - St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
21 - Denver, CO - Fillmore Auditorium
22 - Salt Lake City, UT - University of Utah
24 - Vancouver, BC - Orpheum Theatre
25 - Seattle, WA - Paramount Ballroom
26 - Portland, OR - Roseland Ballroom
28 - San Francisco, CA - The Warfield
30 - Indio, CA - Coachella Music & Arts Festival
2 - New York, NY - Roseland
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Kelley Mcrae | Her Myspace
I knew Kelley briefly when she was in Baltimore. She is a really gifted musician. Unfortunately, I lost contact with her for almost two years. Well, I'm happy to report that she's actually doing quite well on the local music scene in New York. If you like Laura Cantrell, Lucinda Williams, or the latest from Jenny Lewis, I highly recommend that you check her out. I hope she makes it big so I can tell people I heard her when she was doing small shows in Maryland.
From her myspace:
Kelley McRae recently completed her first album, "Never Be," recorded in Brooklyn. The album is a beautiful reflection of Kelley's live shows and features the honey-sweet harmonies of Sarah Fullen and Virginia Kull, along with the collaboration of Jake Sanders on resonator guitar and Sean McClowry on upright bass. Produced by J.D. Foster (Calexico, Richard Buckner, Laura Cantrell), the album also showcases the work of Dave Schramm, Ted Reichman and Joan Baez's longtime drummer, George Javori.
Kelley Mcrae - Never Be
Heartfelt and beautiful.
Kelley Mcrae - Johnny Cash
Easily one of my favorite songs of the year.
Kelley Mcrae - Leavin Song (live)
Kelley Mcrae - Wandering Around
- Ordinarily, the Pete Doherty rumor mill is too pointless to even bother keeping up with. But this fresh rumor is hilarious, and would be one of the best pranks of all time if actually true: Pete Doherty and the KLF | The Pete Doherty Hoax
- Sasquatch is Gorges. Well, I've never been there, but their lineup is gorgeous:
- Friday: Nine Inch Nails, Special Guest - to be announced, HIM, …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Wolfmother
- Saturday Mainstage: Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals, The Flaming Lips, The Shins, The Tragically Hip, Neko Case, Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Gomez, Rogue Wave Wookie: Sam Roberts, Constantines, Architecture In Helsinki, Bedouin Soundclash, Matt Costa, The Brunettes Yeti: Tim Seely, Korby Lenker, Common Market, more artists to be announced
- Sunday Mainstage: Beck, Death Cab For Cutie, Queens of the Stone Age, Matisyahu, The Decemberists, Nada Surf, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Blue Scholars Wookie: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Arctic Monkeys, We Are Scientists, Chad Vangaalen, The Heavenly States Yeti: Rocky Votolato, Laura Veirs, Mercir, The Village Green, more artists to be announced
Monday, February 20, 2006
- Ambulance Ltd. - New English (MP3)
I've been waiting for Ambulance Ltd. to come out with new stuff since their enjoyable eponymous debut LP in 2004. Their forthcoming EP is entitled 'New English', and this is the title track. If this track is any indication, this EP will build on the unique throwback sound they gave us a glimpse of on their debut.
- A Scanner Darkly (trailer)
Trailer for 'A Scanner Darkly' starring Keanu Reaves, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, and Winona Ryder with freaking cool Rotoscope animation from director Richard Linklater. Based on the novel by Philip K. Dick.
- Sleeps with the fishes: Actor Richard Bright fatally hit by bus
He appeared in all three Godfather movies as the Corleone's handy hit man. RIP.
- Flyspy lets you look up historical airline prices and decide the best time to buy.
- Jens Lekman generously offers three free tour EPs for download. It's a mixed bag, not as polished as his album tracks, but still pretty good. [thanks]
- Myspace on The Daily Show
Cheap shot on Friendster. Ouch! Dig the emorific song at the end too.
- Finally got on the YouTube bandwagon and uploaded some fun vids from my archive of crap. Check it out.
- Ricky Williams can't lay off the ganj
Saturday, February 18, 2006
Sugababes - I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor (MP3)
mirror: Sugababes - I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor (open in new window, then d/l MP3)
So, first the Arctic Monkeys covered Girls Aloud. Now, the Sugababes are getting into the act, covering the Arctic Monkeys. Not a bad marketing idea to cover a song from the hottest selling UK album of all time. (It's the b-side on their forthcoming single, Red Dress, which comes out in March).
Caveat downloader, this might be a satellite radio rip; it has a few glitches at the end. Anyone have the full version? o_-
Friday, February 17, 2006
The Strokes - Heart In a Cage (video)
Oh, won't you please shed a tear for the poor miserable life of Julian Casablancas.
- New Guns and Roses songs?
Over a decade of preparation and build-up for...this? I hope these are very raw demos, cruel jokes, or jam sessions.
- Blender's 50 Most Awesomely Dead Rock Stars
Interesting list, but I'm not sure I understand (nor do I care to understand) their criteria. Here's the top 25:
25. Joe Strummer
24. Michael Hutchence
23. George Harrison
22. Ian Curtis
21.Ol’ Dirty Bastard
20. Maurice Gibb
19. Janis Joplin
18. Ronnie Van Zant
17. Freddie Mercury
16. The Ramones
15. Frank Sinatra
14. DJ Screw
13. Marvin Gaye
11. Jim Morrison
10. Ray Charles
9. Bob Marley
8. Kurt Cobain
7. Jerry Garcia
6. Jimi Hendrix
5. John Lennon
4. Tupac Shakur
3. Elvis Presley
2. The Notorious B.I.G.
1. Johnny Cash
- Ahaha: Tommy Lee got beat up by Proof of D12
That pic from Proof's myspace
- Joke of the day: Ripping isn't fair use
Seriously, though. People have been ripping since CD drives for computers existed. And they're taking a position on this now? Puh-leeze!
- No love from NBC, after YouTube made Lazy Sunday arguably the biggest viral video hit of the year.
- Hi Boing Boing readers! My submission got the green light on Boing Boing: County Homeland Security Officers Try To Police Porn, Fail
Here's a story in today's Washington Post about two Montgomery County Homeland Security officers who try to police porn at a public library. After one patron is targeted and asked to step outside, the librarian resists. The police are called and the only ones ushered outside are the failed porn cops. I hope the librarian gets the librarian-of-the-month award for standing up for free speech and privacy.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
- Daily Show coverage of the Cheney hunting accident: here,
here, and here
- World's most expensive dessert: $1000 sundae
Includes edible 24k gold leaf. Suddenly, that Russell Stovers you bought yesterday from Walmart doesn't seem so special.
- Ever wonder what Michael Jackson should have looked like?
- Victor Wooten: Probably the coolest instrumental rendition of Amazing Grace you will ever hear
- What does it take to kill this Toyota pickup truck?
- Tom Cruise and Katie over, or not?
If it's over, then bravo, Katie. Run away.
Hilarious Fark photoshop.
Monday, February 13, 2006
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Gold Lion (video)
Dunno what role Squeak E. Clean or Spike Jonze had in this, if any. Anyway, it features cool pyrotechnics and the weirdness you've come to expect from the YYY. It starts like a Jodorowsky spaghetti western but turns into a serape/kimono/boxing uniform fashion show for Karen O.
A pre-emptive Happy Valentine's to you. Muah!
- How long did you think it would take for the first Dick Cheney memes to emerge?
- dj BC presents The Beastles - Let it Beast
His second Beatles and Beasties mash-up album. Enjoy!
- A cure for your monotonous day: 500 Cheats!
- Lions and Tigers: Only in Kenya (animation)
Funny and inoffensive, except to Norwegians. [via]
Sunday, February 12, 2006
- Hands-On DJing (video)
This is a pretty cool clip for all you turntablism fans out there. I won't say what it is, or I might ruin it.
- Kanye West to write Mission Impossible 3 theme
- R.I.P. Peter Benchley
- Dick misfires
This story totally made my day.
- Cast for Joy Division film announced! So rumors about Jude Law as Ian Curtis weren't true; it'll be newcomer Sam Riley instead. And I'm stoked that Samantha Morton, one of my favorite actresses, will play the role of Curtis' widow.
- Who are the Smiths?
This cutesy 1984 interview includes a brief "This Charming Man" sing-along with British schoolkids.
- R.I.P. J-Dilla
He passed away from renal failure. In case you haven't heard of him, here are some of his production credits: A Tribe Caled Quest, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Busta Rhymes, Common, D'Angelo, Mos Def, etc. A sad loss for the hip-hop world.
- Jessica Alba in Playboy [via]
- Monorail! Monorail! Ray Bradbury recommends a monorail for L.A. And if you've ever driven in L.A., this idea ain't a Martian chronicle.
- The voodoo hoodoo what you don't dare do people: Voodoo head found in luggage at airport. Religious persecution! Voodoo riots to ensue.
Friday, February 10, 2006
- Lefortovo Tunnel Accidents (video)
For those of you who found David Cronenberg's 'Crash' tittilating, this is my Valentine's gift to you. It's set to the song 'Holiday' by Juliet. I just found out that Lefortovo Tunnel is in Moscow. I think this provides concrete evidence that Russian drivers like their vodka a little bit too much. Don't miss the commuter bus of horror! [via]
- Michel Gondry (of 'Eternal Sunshine' fame) directs a documentary about Dave Chappelle’s Block Party
Kanye West - Touch The Sky (video)
Just in time for VD, Kanye locking lips with Pamela Anderson. Yup, you heard right. Oh, I meant Valentine's Day, not venereal disease. [via]
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
- Madonna - Sorry (video)
Someone needs to investigate Madonna's affinity for leotards and her aversion to pants. Otherwise, decent video with a vibe similar to Hung Up.
- iTunes Billion Songs Countdown
Or more approrpiately, "count-up". Includes a nice live graphic of recently purchased items.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Gold Lion (MP3), David Byrne and Fatboy Slim musical, We are Scientists video, CYHSY live
- You heard the Diplo remix already. Here's the awesome original YYY version of Gold Lion. Shades of T&S's 'Walking With a Ghost'.
- The website for the David Byrne and Fatboy Slim musical: Here Lies Love
- We Are Scientists - What's the Word (video)
A throwback to the silent film era. Anachronistic fun!
- Some live Clap Your Hands Say Yeah [via, via]
Saturday, February 04, 2006 Get Your Bootleg On receives cease-and-desist notice
This is very bad news for bootleg and mash-up fans worldwide. It is a great forum that includes everyone from DJs who have had airplay on mainstream radio and BBC One to amateur DJs just fiddling around. It would be a damn shame to see this important mash-up resource and fun community succumb to legal pressures from an outdated and outmoded music industry.
Friday, February 03, 2006
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Gold Lion (diplo remix, MP3)
Oh crap, I love this! Sounds like Karen O in a three-way with Peaches and M.I.A. Ok, not quite. This is an energetic mix though. Not sure how much Diplo had to tweak this, but he drops a track full of hard bouncy fun.
- Coachella vs. Bonnaroo vs. SXSW
Saturday, April 29th
Depeche Mode, Daft Punk, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley, Common, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, TV on the Radio, Ladytron, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-Fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Imogen Heap, Audio Bullys, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Eagles of Death Metal, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Pied Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Living Things, Wolfmother, The Like, Nine Black Alps, Celebration, The Section Quartet, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.
Sunday, April 30th
Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, Sleater-Kinney, Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Wolf Parade, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Gnarls Barkley, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Editors, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, stellastarr*, Michael Mayer, Murs featuring 9th Wonder, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Infadels, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, One Republic, Be Your Own Pet, Youth Group, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.
(there are 51 bands I wanna see)
- Coachella vs. Bonnaroo vs. SXSW
June 16-18, 2006
Radiohead, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Phil Lesh & Friends, Beck, Elvis Costello & the Imposters , Bonnie Raitt, Death Cab for Cutie , moe. , Bright Eyes, The Neville Brothers, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Buddy Guy, Damian Marley, Ben Folds, Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Dr. John, Matisyahu, G. Love & Special Sauce, My Morning Jacket, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, Steel Pulse, Mike Gordon and Ramble Dove, Cat Power, Medeski Martin & Wood, Nickel Creek, Gomez, Atmosphere, Steve Earle, Blues Traveler, Amadou & Mariam, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, Dresden Dolls, Son Volt, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Jerry Douglas, Soulive, Rusted Root, Devendra Banhart Band, Donavon Frankenreiter, Mike Doughty, Sasha, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, The Magic Numbers, Bill Frisell, Seu Jorge, Bettye LaVette, Dungen, Shooter Jennings, Rebirth Brass Band, Robinella, Andrew Bird, Steel Train, Jackie Greene, Devotchka, Wood Brothers, dios (malos), Toubab Krewe, The Motet, Marah, I-Nine, Balkan Beat Box, Cat Empire
(there are 20 bands I wanna see)
- Coachella vs. Bonnaroo vs. SXSW
March 15-19, 2006
too many to list here
(there are 53 bands I wanna see)
- Considering my limited time and funds, and the likelihood that I will be in the L.A. area at the end of April (against my will), I am probably gonna get me some Coachella tix. I just wish there were some bigger names so my non-indie friends would wanna join me for the trip. Man, I was hoping against hope for Smashing Pumpkins and My Bloody Valentine reunions. *sigh*