Between Thought and Expression

An eclectic guide to life's musical journey.

  Menu    <<Home   Audio   Electronic   Film   Hip-Hop   Humor   Indie Rock   Mash-Ups   MP3s   Pop   Videos 


Sunday, July 30, 2006

Pitchfork Music Festival Day 2 Wrap-Up

    I'm going to be fairly critical of the Pitchfork Music Festival. Feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt as I was only there for the latter half of the second day. From what I saw: Mission of Burma were pretty rockin', Devendra Banhart kinda put me to sleep, Yo La Tengo were good but not appropriate for a summer festival type of venue IMHO (and I love them), Spoon was excellent, and Os Mutantes were crazy and energetic. Here are my grades:

  • Lineup: B
    Maybe last year's lineup was better, but this year's was pretty solid as well. Yo La Tengo makes this a solid B.
  • Weather: D
    Simply put, it was hot and humid as hell. I could not wait to get home and shower.
  • Sound system: D
    Is it just me or was the Intonation sound system better (or at least louder)? The speakers provided such a limited soundstage that you had to be positioned somewhere in between the main speakers and at a reasonable distance to hear well. It was hard to achieve a happy medium of temperature comfort and sound quality. A lose-lose situation if you ask me.
  • Sound team: D-
    Ok, the occasional but annoying cutting in-and-out and sudden volume changes of vocals and instruments may be something I might expect from a high school sound guy, not a sound professional. I didn't know Pitchfork interns were at the mixing board. For some reason, Os Mutantes sounded really good though. I don't know if it was their instruments or if they turned up the gain or fixed some wires or what.
  • Crowd: B-
    The crowd was generally cool and respectful. But there were too many hot and sweaty bodies, and some who really needed some fragrance assistance. There was definitely some jailbait. I also couldn't believe how many brought their babies and toddlers out. I hope none of them got heatstroke.
  • Food/Beverages: B
    Quite a good selection of reasonably priced food items. Beer was $4, Fuze went from $2 down to $1, water was $1. Good job here.
  • My pictures: F
    Nothing even worth showing. I didn't want to get close to the stage because of the extreme heat.
  • All in all: C
    Yeah, I'm a tough critic.

Labels:


DJMonsterMo | 11:42 PM |

Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus