- Young Jeezy - I Love It (MP3)
Wow. Dare I call this the hip-hop track of the year? Well, not quite. The rhymes are a bit generic. However, the hook is infectious as hell. This is the hottest joint I've heard since 'It's Goin' Down'. I can't wait to blast this in my car tomorrow. [via]
- David Bowie does a funny improv bit on Extras (BBC Two), created by Ricky Gervais (The Office).
Man, I wish I could get British TV here. I'm going to have to download the British version of The Office to find out if what they say is true (that the British version is better than the American one).
- The Positions - Back to Me
The Positions - Bliss
Nicole's carefree vocals make these songs a worthwhile listen. You can hear the yearning in her gentle voice on 'Back to Me'. I'm not sure how I feel about the brass with keyboard, especially on the second track. It's certainly a unique sound.
- New Midlake video: Head Home
They confirm once again why their buzz is warranted. Great stuff.
Sunday, September 24, 2006
- ONTD has the new Depeche Mode track, Martyr
The song has great production, as usual. However, the lyrics are mediocre; they're dark and brooding even by Depeche Mode standards.
- Digitalism - Zdarlight (Axwell Bucky Done Gun re-edit)
This is a hot DJ mix by Axwell, featuring -- who else? -- M.I.A.. This is ripped from French radio and I don't think it was pressed as a white label, but I could be wrong. Anyway, if anyone has a full version, please let me know. For now, let this hot track wind down your weekend.
Friday, September 22, 2006
New Girls Aloud (video), Ben Folds covers Such Great Heights (video), Free Legal DCFC and SubPop torrents, more
- Girls Aloud - Something Kinda Ooh (video)
New Girls Aloud video! Damn, this song is catchy is hell and the blond in purple is scorhing hot. Yes, it's a guilty pleasure; but seriously, how can you not love these girls? Doesn't top their Biology video though.
- Ben Folds covers The Postal Service's Such Great Heights (video) in the studio. This is a great cover using random objects like a mailbox and champagne glass and no electronic instruments! If anyone has the MP3, hit me up.
- ...which segues nicely to the next post. There is some cool free legal BitTorrent material from Death Cab for Cutie and Sub Pop records. Why the record companies don't embrace this method of promotion more often is beyond me.
- Dug up the The Family Guy pilot episode!
- And while we're on the topic, might as well check out the classic Cookie Monster clip
Monday, September 18, 2006
Marit Bergman - No Party (video), Sugarcubes re-unite (sort of), White Stripes on the Simpsons (video)
- Marit Bergman - No Party
This video is too cute. Not sure what the deal is with the walrus though. Definitely one of my favorite songs of the year, and just in time for Halloween. It perfectly captures how I felt when I first moved to Chicago.
- The Sugarcubes are re-uniting for a 20th anniversary concert!
Sadly, they only mention Reyjavik for this re-union.
- BrooklynVegan has video of The White Stripes on the Simpsons
It's actually a pretty entertaining clip.
Thursday, September 14, 2006
- Valeze - Search and Destroy
This is a pretty rockin' cover of Iggy Pop and the Stooges' "Search and Destroy". The lead singer has a Gwen Stefani thing going for her, which isn't a bad thing. Here's the MP3: Valeze - Search and Destroy (MP3)
- Preview Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts
- Jay-Z's Comeback
I guess pushing papers, driving a Maybach, and banging Beyonce gets old.
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
New Pharoahe Monche video, New Xiu Xiu video, Teddybears remixes featuring Annie, Diplo, Squeak E Clean (MP3s)
- Pharoahe Monche - Push (video)
I am digging this tune. The video is set in 1977 during the NYC blckout.
- Xiu Xiu - Boy Soprano (video)
This is a bizarre but intriguing video for Xiu Xiu's new single 'Boy Soprano'. Looks like the trippiest 16-bit game ever.
- Teddybears - Yours to Keep (Annie mix)
As much as I love Annie, to tell you the truth, I like the original much better.
- Teddybears - Cobrastyle (Diplo remix)
Decent, but kinda underwhelming. I expect more from Diplo.
- Teddybears - Punkrocker (Squeak E Clean remix)
Not a bad remix. Might be the best among this bunch.
Monday, September 11, 2006
- Portatastic - Sour Shores (MP3)
Yum. This might be the best new song I've heard this month. It exudes a cheery vibe (until you listen more closely to the lyrics), and does so without sounding twee. The sound is orchestral without being too overbearing. Their new album comes out 10/10/06. In the meantime, their EP is out, which includes a cover of Hot Chip's "And I Was A Boy From School".
- Creepy but funny SNL skit: MySpace seminar
I did not know Horatio Sans could be so icky.
Friday, September 08, 2006
- Weird Al - White & Nerdy
Parody of Chamillionaire's Ridin'. This is an instant classic. A new anthem for nerds everywhere!
- Sex Baiting Prank: The Craigslist Social Experiment
Sounds scary. One of the reasons why I've never used Craigslist. Yeah, I know. I live in the Dark Ages.
- Boing Boing: EMI wants millions and your IP address in revenge for Beachles
Monday, September 04, 2006
Before Neko Case's solo career and New Pornographers collaboration, she was in a fun little punk/pop/country band named Maow. The album is a 21-minute odditty that I bet she wishes could be deleted from her discography. The sound is really rough and low-fi, but entertaining nonetheless.
This one is really catchy and silly.
Maow (with Neko Case) - Ms. Lefevre (MP3)
And if that's not enough entertainment, you have to check out the video:
Maow (with Neko Case) - Ms. Lefevre (video)
I see someone forgot their Ritalin.
This is a fun little ditty that disses Eric Clapton and gives props to Hank Williams.
Maow (with Neko Case) - Very Missionary (MP3)
- Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed
Really sad news for you this morning. I just can't believe that it was at hands of a sting ray. I thought for sure the end was going to be a bloody struggle with a croc. Why is loathsome Paul Hogan still alive doing Subaru commercials and Steve Irwin gone? Life is just cruel.
Leave your condolences
Sunday, September 03, 2006
- A bit of comedy to lighten up your Labor Day weekend.
- Paris Hilton targeted in CD prank
This is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Hats off to Banksy , who introduced 500 'altered' versions of Paris Hilton's new CD into HMVs and Virgin records stores across the UK. The Bansky remix hits include: "Why am I Famous?," "What Have I Done?" and "What Am I For?" Here's a Flickr link to the prank material.
- Bomb Or Not? Training For Government Agents!
Think you have what it takes to join the TSA? Think again!
Friday, September 01, 2006
- RIP Woxy
It's tough for an internet indie rock station to make ends meet. I'd like to thank them for trying and for opening our ears to some great music.
- Beck - Cell Phone's Dead
ONTD has an interesting new Beck tune. More can be heard on his myspace.
- Monster Movie - Driving Through the Red Lights
I'm digging this. It sounds like The Magnetic Fields meet Apples in Stereo.
- David Bowie will play inventor Nikola Tesla in an upcoming Christopher Nolan film. Can't wait.
- Mos Def Arrested at VMAs
Thank you NYPD for keeping the streets safe.