Between Thought and Expression

An eclectic guide to life's musical journey.

  Menu    <<Home   Audio   Electronic   Film   Hip-Hop   Humor   Indie Rock   Mash-Ups   MP3s   Pop   Videos 


Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Essex Green and Camera Obscura at Logan Square Auditorium. Lily Allen - Alfie (video), more

  • I commend those of my fellow Chicagoans who braved the -20 degree F wind chill to attend the The Essex Green and Camera Obscura show at Logan Square Auditorium on the eve of the Superbowl (GO BEARS). Even walking 3 1/2 blocks from the car to the venue was painful. My eyeballs started freezing up, my lungs hurt, and my eyebrows became numb. I apologize for not having pics; the lens mechanism got frozen. J/k, I just forgot it and my camera phone sucks.

    The Essex Green put on a solid if unspectacular show. They played new and old stuff including "The Late Great Cassiopia" and many selections from their 'Cannibal Sea' LP, including "Penny & Jack" and an energetic rendition of "Don't Know Why". The crowd seemed pretty restless in anticipation of Camera Obscura, but the talking continued through Camera Obscura's set.

    Tracyanne Campbell handled the rude talkers with grace by changing up the lyrics to "Books Written for Girls". Instead of:

    People get shocked in many ways
    I disappoint you
    I can't see through your perfect smile
    She sang:
    People are rude in so many ways [or something to that effect]
    They disappoint me
    When they talk through my perfect song
    ...to which the quieter fans in the audience enthusiastically applauded. They opened with "Let's Get Out of This Country". After closing a slow stretch of their set with "Country Mile" they concluded with "Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken" and "If Looks Could Kill", followed by two encores including "I Need All the Friends I Can Get" with the Essex Green on stage (this was their last tour stop together). Needless to say, Camera Obscura moved up several spots on my list of favorite artists.

  • lily allen alfie video Lily Allen - Alfie (video)
    "Alfie" is a pretty dumb song, but this video is hilarious.

  • charleston daft punk video The Charleston to Daft Punk (video)
    Do the "Charleston" to Daft Punk's "Around the World".

  • iConcertCal
    A free iTunes plug-in that monitors your music library and generates a personalized calendar of upcoming concerts in your city. For PCs and Macs.

Labels: , ,


DJMonsterMo | 10:40 AM |

Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus