Between Thought and Expression

An eclectic guide to life's musical journey.

  Menu    <<Home   Audio   Electronic   Film   Hip-Hop   Humor   Indie Rock   Mash-Ups   MP3s   Pop   Videos 


Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Onion's Sufjan Stevens interview, Musical Hallucinations, World Dream Bank, Waiter Rant

The Onion AV Club: Sufjan Stevens interview
There is a wealth of interesting information here, including, the answer to the question how does Sufjan Stevens write/record?
...I write through recording. I have a portable 8-track. An old, outdated Roland—the 880 EX. And then I use Pro Tools to edit. So I record a lot of it at home. And for this record, I also used a studio in Queens.

Pro Tools is an incredible resource. I think it's enabled me to do things that I wouldn't have been able to do without this kind of computer editing. I did a lot of 4-tracking for years before I bought a computer, and I think what really inspired me from the beginning was knowing that Sgt. Pepper's was done on two assimilated 4-tracks. Granted, they were much better tapes and much better machines, but they basically had eight tracks to work with. And when you listen to the record, it sounds really full and complete.


And what about his name, 'Sufjan'?
It's a Muslim name. I was sort of born into a Subud cult that has ties to Islam and Indonesia and Middle Eastern spiritualism. My parents were kind of trial-and-error when it came to religion.


Musical Hallucinations: Neuron Network Goes Awry, and Brain Becomes an IPod
Talk about getting a song stuck in your head.

World Dream Bank
Everything from dreams about dreams to hermaphroditism to monster intercourse.

Waiter Rant
Interesting to hear things from his semi-disgruntled persepctive.

DJMonsterMo | 12:08 AM |

Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus