- Here are my Favorite Songs of the First Quarter (in no particular order). Links go directly to MP3s or to Hype Machine.
- Simian Mobile Disco - It's the Beat (the teenagers remix)(MP3)
One of the catchiest electro house remixes I've heard this year. Better than the minimalist original which is too close to "Blue Monday".
- Amerie - Gotta Work (MP3)
Sounds like a cross between "1 Thing" and X'Tina's "Stronger" [via]
- Justice - D.A.N.C.E. (MP3)
Awesomely funky and innocent electro fun.
- Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill
Who could have predicted that this year's hottest electro tune would be a hypocritical (and even contradictory) list of musical commandments?
- Rihanna feat. Jay-Z - Umbrella
Ok, so I'm wrong. Rihanna is not a one-hit wonder. How can song whose chorus is mostly "ella ella ella ay ay ay" be this catchy?
- Feist - My Moon, My Man
I've been a trying to avoid the leaks but I couldn't resist giving this one a listen. I'm really looking forward to the new album.
- Lloyd & Lil' Wayne - You
No more playa hatin'. A love song for player apologists. "I'll change the game for you".
- David Vandervelde - Murder in Michigan (MP3)
This ballad is chilling in its beauty.
- UGK feat. Outkast - International Players Anthem
It's produced by Three 6 Mafia and set to blow up later this spring.
- CocoRosie - Rainbowarriors (MP3)
A catchy girl power rap as only CocoRosie can do.
- Ne-Yo - Put Your Hands Up
...and wave them all around as if there are no repercussions.
- Joss Stone - Put Your Hands on Me
Sticking with the hands motif.
- Lily Allen - Smile (mark ronson dc remix) (MP3)
A laid-back, summery re-interpretation of the original.
- Apartment - 10000 Times (MP3)
Sounds like a cross between Interpol and Echo and the Bunnymen.
- J-Ro - You Call That Love
Featuring Swedish rapper Chords.
- Rosie Thomas feat. Sufjan Stevens - Say Hello (MP3)
What a lovely song. I wish they had more duets just like this.
- Mika - Grace Kelly