Gillian Anderson likes Feist
Speaking of which, have you all noticed the slightly more provocative 'Let it Die' album cover for the Interscope U.S. release?
Arts and Crafts cover
Buy Feist - Let it Die
Stars - Ageless Beauty (video, mov)
Neat video. The teen house party is a variation on a familiar theme. I do like the chiaroscuro band lighting, which accentuates Amy Milan's shiny mascara and lip gloss. However, I have no idea what the large X on her upper left chest is for.
"Born in Chicago"
"I Can't Forget" (Leonard Cohen cover)
"Ain't That Pretty At All" (Warren Zevon cover)
Black Eyed Peas - Don't Phunk With My Heart
I've always been a detractor of the Black Eyed Peas. To me, they are the antithesis of A Tribe Called Quest, sell-out musicians with glossy production on tracks minus MC or DJ talent. However, I actually dig this Stereo MCs-esque vibe, mainstream-friendly though it is, at least until I hear it for the billionth time on the TV/radio come August. via Stairway
- Really Flat Speakers
I can't believe these can output any worthwhile sound.
- iPod handbag with built-in speakers
Just in case you can't justify to yourselves spending 300 some odd bucks on an MP3 player. Ladies? Guys, I dunno about the man-purse, unless that's your kinda bag, baby.
This would be a nice conversation piece.
- Time interviews cartoonist R. Crumb
- The Game has a butterfly tattoo
Click if you don't believe me.
- NYT: Return of big-budget horror
- This is apparently how much the Department of Defense cares about troops
Friday, April 29, 2005
- Batman Begins full trailer (mov)
Damn, this looks good!
- New New Pornographers
Ok, I suppose I'm a Johnny-come-lately on this one. But here is it, a link to info on the New New Pornographers LP entitled 'Twin Cinema' with an MP3 of the title track. Sounds like it picks up where 'Electric Version' left off. And that's a good thing.
- Dizzee Rascal launches 'Dirtee Stank' label
- Soderbergh To Help Reinvent Film Distribution?
Remember Mark Cuban's plan for digital film distribution to cut costs? It seems that director Steven Soderbergh is on board with this idea.
The deal calls for six, high def video films from Soderbergh (produced and/or directed) that will be released on DVD, in theatres, and on the HDNet cable channel at the same time. Cuban and Wagner's company shares ownership of Landmark theatres and the HDNet cable channel.
- Mos Def to play opposite Bruce Willis in 16 Blocks
Love Will Tear Us Apart (live) (!)
The Radio Bros. - Papillon
djBC - P.B.E. Lady
Kenny Rogers- Lady
John Forté- P.B.E. (Powerful, Beautiful, Excellent)
MC Chris- Tracktor
Thursday, April 28, 2005
- Holmes in Cruise Control
While Holmes may have been in kindergarten when Cruise first hit it big in 1983's Risky Business, the pair aren't letting a 16-year age gap get in the way of their good time. Nor does a height difference seem to matter: Holmes is about five-foot-nine (and tops six feet in heels), while Cruise is generously listed at five-foot-seven.
- arjanwrites has an interview with Annie
I am so jealous! Here's an excerpt:
Why do you think the Nordic countries put out so much good pop music?
I think you have to make a distinction between Norway and Sweden. Sweden has a long tradition of pop singer/songwriters, starting with Abba. But in Norway we had Aha in the '80s, but not much came after that. I think now with me, Royksopp and Kings Of Convenience there is again a lot of interest in music from Norway. Bergen especially is a great city for music now. It is a small scene and many of the artist are friends. It is very easy to work together.
- Universities Don't Have To Help RIAA, Federal Judge Rules
- Happy Birthday, Stereogum
- The first real-life radio station to become a podcast station
- Preventing gadget theft
emiL - Phunk Master
Armand Van Helden - Funk Phenomenon vs. Wildchild - Renegade Master
As usual, POP77 has an excellent new mix:
Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, IL - Sufjan Stevens
Back in Time - Au Revoir Simone
Steeples and People - The Phonemes
Be Good To Them Always - The Books
November Has Come - Gorillaz feat. MF Doom
Care - Kaada
Gangbusters - Chris Stein
Moody (Spaced Out) - E.S.G.
Yesterdays (Junior Boys Remix) - Billie Holiday
L'Ultime Atome - Oomiaq
Inside The Globe - Airborn Audio
400 Winters - Bark Psychosis
Sleeping Diagonally (Sam Beam Version) - Six Parts Seven
The Uncertainty Of How Things Are - Dios
Twilight - Elliot Smith
Broken Drum (Boards of Canada Remix) - Beck
Awfully Deep - Roots Manuva
The One Dot - Pit Er Pat
Unemployed Black Astronaut (Nobody Remix) - Busdriver
'I Don't Need Love, I've Got My Band' - The Radio Dept.
Suedehead - Morrisey
The Engine Driver - The Decemberists
- Why girls should date nerds and geeks
A fun perspective
- M.I.A. Pushes Lyrical Boundaries, Lines Up Tour
- The Gorillaz track "Kids With Guns" will be featured on the O.C.
Thursday night, April 28th.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005
@ Merriweather Post Pavilion • Columbia, MD
Presale is Friday, April 29 @ 10am -10pm
Password is trompe
There is an 8 ticket limit
Public on sale Saturday, April 30 @ 10am through Ticketmaster
click here for the presale
Team 9 - High Time
Coldplay - Clocks vs. Stonebridge - Put 'Em High
Tuesday, April 26, 2005
If you haven't heard Primal Scream's 1991 album, Screamadelica, you are missing out on a highly influential album that fused rock with soul and acid house. Thanks to Andrew Weatherall's production, it is an album that has shaped the electronic music landscape from Madchester to Bristol to the whole world. Screamixadelica is a remix of the classic album by infamous mashers/remixers in the same vein as the Chemical Brothers remix album, Flip the Switch.
- The Go! Team: Pitchfork Interview
The samples were cut and pasted on Pro Tools then it was put through distortion and compression. When we put to tape we put the levels up so it was going into the red. It's quite rare for people to actually strive for that, most people want it to sound as good as possible in a stadium type of way. If it sounds too big I want to squish it down. I had the capabilities to make it all slicked up but no.
This is inspiring. I did the same on Cool Edit Pro.
- Decemberists benefit auction on Ebay
They did not recover all of their stolen gear and are still missing some $20k worth. (via Donewaiting).
- Scarlett Johansson set for Woody Allen's next film
Scarlett Johansson has been cast as the female lead in Woody Allen's next film, Match Point, which begins shooting June 28 in London.
- AOL added to spam blacklist
- Beastie Boys live at The Wireless
- Bright Eyes live from 9:30 Club
- The Go! Team b-sides
Monday, April 25, 2005
There is only ONE winner, whoever FIRST correctly answers the following: What was the B-SIDE to Nirvana's first 7" single? No waffling; be concise; there is only one right answer. E-mail me the answer to btande (at) gmail (dot) com.
- a copy of the Classic Albums - Nirvana: Nevermind DVD
- a poster (which showcases the cover of the DVD)
- postcards (also showcase the cover of the DVD)
First come, first served. Void where prohibited. Good luck!
To preview the DVD, check out the following links/clips...
Media Player Link:
Nirvana DVD Video Links:
T3 (Windows Media):
2 winners will be randomly drawn from the crop of submissions.
Winners will receive:
- a copy of the Louis XIV EP, "Illegal Tender"
- a booklet showing photos taken from the "The Best Little Secrets Are
Kept" photoshoot - great pictures and contains bits of nudity (if
you're into that sort of thing
You have until Thursday midnight (4/28/05) to get your entries in. Void where prohibited. Winners will be announced on the site and e-mailed on Friday afternoon. Good luck!
link (zip) to some Yeah Yeah Yeahs rarities, via Stairway.
rya posted it.
Sunday, April 24, 2005
- M.I.A.'s Galang to be featured on MTV's Advance Warning
Airtimes on MTV:
Sunday, Apr 24 @ 12:00 AM
Tuesday, Apr 26 @ 8:30 AM
Thursday, Apr 28 @ 4:00 AM
Airtimes on MTV2:
Wednesday, Apr 27 @ 10:00 AM
- Breathalyzers Showing Up At School Dances, Football Games
- Kasabian star hurt after being struck onstage
- Paris Speaks Out About Split With Nicole
...Richie is jealous of the media attention her blonder costar receives and resents being left out of things like Hilton's Feb. 5 hosting gig on Saturday Night Live. In fact, says the source, Richie tried to get even for that perceived slight by throwing a party to celebrate the SNL stint and then screening Paris's infamous 2003 sex video instead.
- Virus pits itself against music pirates
- The NYT: H&M and McFashion
- iTunes phone on the way
- Adorable 3yo North Korean girl is a xylophone virtuoso
July 23rd and 24th in Grant Park, Chicago, IL
Artists to be excited about: Pixies, Arcade Fire, Death Cab For Cutie, The Bravery, The Walkmen, Louis XIV, Weezer, Tegan and Sara, Liz Phair, Ambulance LTD, M83. Of course, Coachella's lineup destroys this. Even the HFStival lineup is almost better than this, for less than half the price.
The Arcade Fire
Death Cab For Cutie
G. Love and Special Sauce
The Black Keys
Sound Tribe Sector 9
Los Amigos Invisibles
The Dandy Warhols
Tegan and Sara
VHS or Beta
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Shout Out Louds
World Leader Pretend
- Darth Vader's Blogspot blog, PSP web portal, more
- The Simpsons music and sounds on MP3
- The Shins - 4 live concerts, New Order - Live at Blossom Music Centre, Cleveland
- Amazon has link to top 200 downloaded MP3s
- M.I.A. vs Electro Pop, Run DMC vs. The Knack
- Celebrity news fodder, Google search history, Berkeley pwnage
- Missy Elliott - The Cookbook tracklisting
- "Simpsons" bow to Pope, M.I.A., U2 PS2 light controller, more
- Mashes !!!/Bjork/Smokey Robinson/MIA, Spoon/Mark Morrison/Joe
- Prison terms on tap for 'prerelease' pirates
- New Pope, Broken Social Scene new LP(s), Kelly Osbourne video, HFStival rumor mill, more
- Football TV change, U.S. military's hackers, Oasis video chat, more
- Annie interview at The Fader
- Playlist Philadelphia iPod DJ contest
- M.I.A. acapellas and remix project at XL
- Listen to a clip of the new Missy/Pharrell joint
- Mashes: Britney, Christina, M.I.A.
- Hello, stranger in Banana Republic
- DC iPod thefts, the self-repair myth, DMX crashes, more
- Sin City review
- U2 Live in Anaheim , 4-01-05
Friday, April 22, 2005 Simpson Crazy: Simpsons mp3 music
- The Darth Side: Memoirs of a Monster
- How-To Hacks finalist: How to set up your own PSP web portal
- Slashdot: Human Hibernation on the Horizon?
- Boing Boing: Hank Ketcham’s Complete Dennis The Menace
- Chili Woman On Ice
- YuppiePunk's interesting article on a prolific album cover designer
The Shins live
New Order - Blossom Music Centre, Cleveland, July 5, 1989
Thursday, April 21, 2005 Amazon's Top 200 MP3s
Top downloads are calculated every six hours from the most popular songs downloaded by unique customers of Amazon.com
King of Pants - M.I.A. vs Little Computer People
Bucky Done Gone vs. Electro Pop
Run DMC vs The Knack - Tricky Sharona
Mixed by Cheekyboy.
It's Tricky vs. My Sharona; It's amazin how well these work together.
- Another reason to hate Ben Affleck
Bennifer part 2, featuring Jennifer Garner. I didn't even know she divorced her last husband.
- Jane Fonda gets a mouthful
- Slashdot: Google Adds Search History Feature
I hope mine is turned off.
- Berkeley student who stole professor's computer busted and threatened by professor in front of lecture (zipped mp3)
The now infamous file from BoingBoing. Someone is really screwed.
ILM (scroll to the bottom; good luck, they're probably gone by now). On these tracks, Missy refines the chunky Timbaland hip-hop electro style that she introduced on 'This Is Not A Test!'. While not as raw or grimey as M.I.A., the beats and production step in the direction of the club without the lyrics losing the realness.
'Lose Control' works into your head subliminally with a catchy chorus, lyrical self-mashing (elements of Work It, 1,2 Step) and her one-of-a-kind call-and-response randomness.
Everybody here getting out of control
Get your backs off the wall 'cuz Misdemeanor said so
Everybody (step step [Ciara whispers subliminally]) (x3)
Mark my words, 'Lose Control' is going to be the anthem of early summer.
Meanwhile, 'On and On' sounds like a soundtrack to a film starring Missy blasting away MCs with lyrical death rays. Pharrell is relegated to the minimal spoken chorus.
Here's a hot lyrical excerpt from the second verse:
Ya'll just rookies, virgins and nookies
Now my competition, you skip or play hooky
Ain't nobody here that can turn the track up
And I ain't done rappers so shut the hell up
Missy Elliott | The Cookbook | June 28, 2005
1.) Joy feat. Mike Jones
3.) Irresistable Delicious feat. Slick Rick
4.) Lose Control feat. Ciara and Fatman Scoop
5.) My Struggle feat. Grand Puba and Mary J. Blige
7.) Right One For You
8.) On and On feat. Pharrell
9.) We Run This
10.) Time and Time Again
11.) Gotta Move On feat. Tweet
13.) 4 My Man
14.) Tearyeyed feat. Tweet
15.) Smach The Place
16.) Other Things (Bonus Track)
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
- "Simpsons" Bow to Pope
- Xfm with M.I.A.: 'My Beats Are Worth Millions!'
- Boing Boing: Lighting system for U2 tour operated by Playstation 2 controller
- Wonkette: New Food Pyramid is Totally Gay
- The NYT: Cannes Selection Full of Favorites
Bjork's "Hidden Place" v. Chk Chk Chk's "Shitscheissemerde" v. Smokey
Robinson & The Miracles' "Tracks Of My Tears" v. a smidge of
"Bjork's Hidden Smokey Galang"
Spoon's "I Turn My Camera On" v. Joe's "Stutter" v. Mark Morrison's "Return Of The Mack"
"Spoon Mark, Joe."
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 CNET News: Prison terms on tap for 'prerelease' pirates
File-swappers who distribute a single copy of a prerelease movie on the Internet can be imprisoned for up to three years, under a bill that's slated to become the most Draconian expansion of online piracy penalties in years.
The bill, approved by Congress on Tuesday, is written so broadly it could make a federal felon of anyone who has even one copy of a film, software program or music file in a shared folder and should have known the copyrighted work had not been commercially released. Stiff fines of up to $250,000 can also be levied. Penalties would apply regardless of whether any downloading took place...
Invoking a procedure used for noncontroversial legislation, the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday overwhelmingly approved the measure, called the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act. Because the bill already has cleared the Senate, it now goes to President Bush for his signature.
- CNN.com - German cardinal is elected new pope
- Broken Social Scene Ready Three Records, K-OS Contributing
- MTV Video Premiere - Kelly Osbourne
A nifty video inspired by Alphaville and other French New Wave cinema.
- HFStival rumor mill...unconfirmed artists that little birdies are talking about: The Killers, Audioslave, Weezer, NIN. Any one of these would be nice, especially one of the latter two.
- Boing Boing: MetaBrainz launches to fund and oversee MusicBrainz
An alternative to GraceNote for song/album IDs.
- Boing Boing: Seeking site urging RIAA to sue the President
- Gizmodo: Turntable Furniture
- Gizmodo: Tetris Shelves
- You Ain't No Picasso features The Shins @ Austin City Limits
Monday, April 18, 2005
- WTF?: MNF on ESPN, Sunday Night Football on NBC
- Wired: The hacker division of the Dept. of Defense
- Oasis video webchat
On Friday 22 April, Oasis will be taking part in a live interactive video web cast. Guitarist Noel Gallagher will be online at 20.00CET to speak to fans around the world about the band's highly anticipated album ‘Don't Believe The Truth', which includes the brand new single ‘Lyla'.
- The 50 funkiest albums of all time
- Slashdot: Canadians May Face 25% Download Tariff
- Now I know why my golf game sucks: Movement disorder
- The Li'l Brudder show on Homestar Runner
- Drudge: Coulter laments Time making her look funny on purpose
- Bored of the weather? Live in L.A.? Now, you can get daily weather reports from eccentric director David Lynch at his site
Annie interview (mov) at The Fader.
To be honest, i don't see the album as a pop album... When it comes to the production, I think very much [sic] pop is quite boring...
Playlist Philadelphia/iPod DJ features a contest in Philly sponsored by ipodlounge on April 25, where anyone can bring a 15 minute set, play it, and listen to other sets.
Bucky Done Gun (acapella)
Pull up the People (acapella)
All 3 MP3s Bundled
From XL recordings. You can download the pellas, make your own remix, and upload them to the site to contribute to the online M.I.A. mix compilation.
Missy feat. Pharrell - On & On
Britney vs. Christina Milan - All Day Slave
Mashed by Akimeder
M.I.A. - Galangrox (xerox re-rub)
Remixed by Xerox Soundsystem
Sunday, April 17, 2005
- IPod Devotees Rocked by Thefts
- NYT: The myth of an inexhaustible capacity for self-rejuvenation
- DMX arrested for crashing into cop car
Train wreck would be a more appropriate analogy for his hip-hop career trajectory, but we'll take it.
- Hey Yankees fans,
Don't choke on the dust
- BoingBoing: Overclocking a TI calculator
For those with absolutely no life.
U2 Live in Anaheim , 4-01-05
Features a good mix of songs from all their albums and a tribute of '40' to the late Pope.
- Britney baby shower gifts, POP77 mix, Beck
- N.W.A. explicit only (hilarious), Napoleon Dynamite action figures, more
- Kasabian contest winners!
- Prominent leaks: NIN, Aimee Mann, White Stripes
- Are we kinder to our music than to our movies?
- Live Bjork
- Update, iPod DJ mixer, Google video, more
- Trailer for film based on Cobain's life
- The Shins - Pink Bullets (video)
- Green Day vs. Opus III mash
- Britney Spears is preggers, turntable guitar, and other news
- Glastonbury lineup announced
- Cornell showdown, RIAA sues again, Apple bloggers' support, Cingular's early ringtones, Paris Hilton interview, more
- MovieWeb's summer movie preview, America video mash-up, Annie news
- Kasabian Contest! - Win an autographed Kasabian poster!
- More fun mashed tunes
- Rapidshare countdown timer hack
- Time's Top 100, Hitchhiker's movie, P2P myths, Hackers, Tooled, DCShoe b-ball
Saturday, April 16, 2005
- Hilarious Fark photoshop contest: Now that Britney's pregnant, photoshop some lovely baby-shower gifts for the happy couple
- POP77 has an excellent new mix
On - Aphex Twin
How Long - Out Hud
M62 Song (Four Tet Remix) - Doves
Stardust Hotel - Jaga Jazzist
Hello Tomorrow - Squeak E. Clean ft. Karen O.
Green Grass Of Tunnel - Mum
Nothing Better (Styrofoam Remix) - The Postal Service
Matinee (Zongamin Unreleased Remix) - Franz Ferdinand
Robot Rock (Soulwax remix) - Daft Punk
Arp Center - Principles Of Geometry
Knowing The Things That I Know - The Blow
Dog Day - Machine Drum
Yeti - Caribou
October Song - Audible
Unseen In The Disco - Tarwater
Surfing On A Rocket (Juan Mac Lean Mix) - Air
Heartbeat (Maurice Fulton Mix) - Annie
- Brooklyn Vegan has pics from the [not-so-]'secret' NYC Beck show
Congratulations! I recommend eBaying the poster and registering for psychotherapy. Please e-mail me your contact information so I can notify the promotion company.
Entry was on the right track, but was more strange than funny. However, you didn't have much competition. Please e-mail me your contact information so I can notify the promotion company.
Thanks to Alex for his honesty. His prize is the consolation that he is not probably less mentally ill than the winners. (Winners, I am joking about your mental instability. We are all DSM-IV personality cases anyway).
Friday, April 15, 2005
- Update: NIN's Trent Reznor releases song as GarageBand file
- NIN - With Teeth
It seems that Trent has adopted a pop sensibility on tracks like 'Every Day is Exactly The Same'. The rest of the album seems like a mix of equal parts Broken, Downward Spiral, and The Fragile, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a new spin on his old formula. Links are at regnyouth.
Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm
Aimee Mann's concept album recreates a 70s feel with her warm storytelling, bright and prominent guitar, and mellow keyboards. Supposedly recorded in 5 days, but it doesn't sound like it! It's one of the best albums I've heard this year and might be the best effort yet from Mann. It's not a very daring or groundbreaking album, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
- White Stripes - Blue Orchid (MP3)
Honestly, it sounds terrible.
Three live Bjork songs
Sugarcubes era, to be exact. 'Hit' is a fun fan favorite.
Thursday, April 14, 2005
- I cleaned up my CSS for lighter code, faster pageloads, and thinner columns. I have de.licio.us-ed my site back to late March for easy navigation of content-related tags (since Blogger doesn't support folders or tags) to increase the blog's navigation utility. Hopefully, I will remember to de.licio.us new posts as a habit so that you can navigate new content with ease.
- Reminder: the Kasabian contest is coming to a close. Winners will be chosen tomorrow.
- Numark introduces development of the iPod DJ mixer
- Boing Boing: Google launches Video Upload Program
- FCC: Fake news must be declared
The FCC is asking that government-produced "video news releases" should be clearly labeled as such when aired.
- Mark Cuban predicts the demise of the desktop PC
Trailer for 'Last Days' (quicktime stream)
This is the first trailer for Gus Van Sant's (Drugstore Cowboy, My Own Private Idaho, Good Will Hunting) upcoming film, Last Days, which is loosely based on Kurt Cobain's life. Will be screened in France on May 13 (U.S. release date is October 21).
The Shins - Pink Bullets (video)
This melancholic video features sad singing paper cows.
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Divide and Kreate - It's a fine holiday
Not sure why these work together, but they do!
- Britney Spears ~ The Official Site
After all those photos of severe munchies and tabloid speculation, Britney finally confirms what everyone has suspected: she actually is preggers.
The time has finally come to share our wonderful news that we are expecting our first child together. There are reports that I was in the hospital this weekend, Kevin and I just want everyone to know that all is well. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Britney & Kevin
- Vestax introduces the STC-V1
For the turntablist rocker in you.
- Boing Boing: For the ladies, purses with brass knuckles
Essential NYC gear.
- Boing Boing: Punk rock in the holy land
- Meetup.com goes pay for organizers
Uh, hello Craigslist and Upcoming.org?
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
2005 Glastonbury Lineup as of April 12, 2005
Coldplay, Kylie, The Killers, New Order, White Stripes, Doves, Elvis Costello, Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, The Zutons, The Coral, Ash, Kaiser Chiefs, Goldie Lookin' Chain, Jools Holland, The Thrills, John Butler Trio, The Undertones, The Subways, Taj Mahal, Hayseed Dixies, Garbage
Razorlight , Kasabian, Ian Brown, Fatboy Slim, Royksop, Bloc Party, Interpol, Rufus Wainwright, The Bravery, Futureheads, Echo And The Bunnymen, Athlete, The Dears, Cooper Temple Clause, Hot Hot Heat, Soulwax, Cake, Thirteen Senses, Brendon Benson, Martha Wainwright, Tom Vek, BlackBud, Dead 60's, KT Tunstall, Modey, Lemon, Engineers, The Deadbeats
East Coast Dance Tent
Chemical Brothers present Glint, The Bellagios, Carl Cox, Timo Maas, DJ Format featuring Abdominal and D-Sisive, Evil Nine, Too Many DJs, Whiley Crazy Titch J2 + Came, Mylo, Skinnyman & DJ flip, Terri Walker Live, Plantlife
West Coast Dance Tent
Dubtribe, Way Out West (PA), System Seven , 808 State (DJ Set), Eatstatic, Ian Cheshire, London Electricity (Live), High Contrast, Blakout, Hexstatic, Zen TV (Matt Black), Dreadzone (Live), Layo & Bushwacka!, The Bays (Live), Tayo (Dub DJ Set), Mad Professor Dub Show (Live), Tayo (Dub DJ Set), Renny Pilgrim Presents The TCR All Stars (Live), The Beat (Live), Jon Moore (Coldcut) (DJ Set), Scratchy (Clash Tour DJ), Tetchi (Live), Aural Imbalance, Plump Djs, BT (Live), Zen TV (Matt Black), Banco De Gaia (Live), Phil K DJ (Australia), Atomic Hooligan (Live), Sherem Jey (DJ Set), Celloman with 8 Piece Strings(Live)
Hybrid, Hyper, Elite Force, J.D.S., Dreadzone Sound System, Krafty Kutz, General Midi, Koma & Bones, Aquasky, Atomic Hooligan / Jay Cunning, Phantom Beats, Breakfastaz, Squarepusher, DJ Speedy J , Chris Clark live, DJ Luke Vibert, DJ Surgeon, The Bug + MCs , Mark One + Virus Syndicate , cassetteboy + DJ rubbish, Clever Bunny, Juju, James Monroe, Lox, The Commercial Hippies, Jumanji, Ans, Joti Sidhu, Tristan, Son Kite
John Peel Stage
The Tears, Go Team, Bright Eyes, The Earlies, Willy Mason, Mia, Secret Machines, M83, Your Code Name Is Milo, Maximo Park, Nine Black Alps, Jem, James, Blunt, Dresden Dolls, The Subways, Be Your Own Pet, Rilo Kiley, The Rakes, Art Brut, Hard Fi, Longcut, Morning Runner, Infidels, Outset, El Presidente, The Mad Staring Eyes
Roy Ayers, Roots Manuva, Nigel Kennedy, Alabama 3, Tyler James, Kokolo, Dennis Rollins' Badbone & Co, Terry Reid, Moya, Seeed, Taj Mahal, Amparanoia, G Love, Levellers, Ilham Al Madfai., DJ Dolores, Femi Kuti, Zap Mama, Oojami, Youngblood Brass Band, The Jaipur Kawa Brass Band
Steve Earle, Steve Harley & the Cockney Rebel, The Beautiful South, Paul Brady, Paddy Casey, Tori Amos, Henry McCullough, Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club, Ani DiFranco, Battlefield Band, London Community Gospel Choir, Declan O’Rourke, Glenn Tilbrook, The Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain, Allison Moorer, Chas ‘n’ Dave, Patti Griffin, Mike Whellans, London Lasses, David Kitt, The One Man Blues Band, Ralfe Band, Kathleen Edwards, Clayhill, The Deadbeats, Amos Lee, Tiny Tin Lady, Martha Wainwright, I Am Kloot, The Backbeat Beatles , Whalebone Polly
Oysterband, Eliza Carthy & the Ratcatchers, Justin Sullivan, Terry Reid, The Proclaimers, Peatbog Faeries, Hayseed Dixie, Rory McLeod, Session A9, Kangaroo Moon, The Broken Family Band, Martha Tilston, The Huckleberries, Eddi Reader, Sharon Shannon, Shooglenifty, The Baghdaddies, Baka Beyond, Leon Hunt & Daily Planet, Seize The Day, Dragonsfly, Mahatma, North Cregg, Los Albertos, Polly Paulusma, Tarantism
Seeed, Pathaan, The Egg, Suns of Arqa, Foreign Beggars, Genesis Elijah, Doozer, Marky, Patife, Stamina and Cleveland Watkiss, Task Force, Oojami, Lord Gosh, Iration Steppas, Smith and Mighty/More Rockers, Dub Dadda, Alpha and Omega, Salmonella Dub, Dib Dub, Chemical DubTheory
Dance Lounge Bar
Bugs in the Attic, Pitman, Dbooga, Dive, Urban Myth Club, Little Barrie, Amalgamation of Soundz, Four Tet, Nouvelle Vague, Damn!, Racheal Yamagata, Ivory, Husky Rescue, Plan B, Whitey
Neece Un Unk, Peoples Republic of Disco, Kokolo, Pop Quiz, Bingo Karaoke (stars in your eyes), Anne Pigalle, Lovely Morning, Parlure deluxe, DJ Dolores, Babyhead, Guilty Pleasures, Seeed, Dance classes, Giant Games, Urban Magic, Quirky theatre, Piano
Croissant Neuf Stage
Friday: Yoga, Nizlopi, Buffalo Gals, Siyaya, Mythtwister, The Boat Band, Kissmet
Saturday: Aerobic Dance work out, Engine Room, Flipron, Askew and Avis, Ed Alleyne-Johnson, Dragonsfly, Riven
Sunday: Yoga, Biggles, Nick Wilkinson & Olivia Moore, Whalebone Polly, Jacqui Jamal, Los Guys, Orchidstar
Cornell showdown, RIAA sues again, Apple bloggers' support, Cingular's early ringtones, Paris Hilton interview, more
- Boing Boing: Copyfighters versus RIAA, MPAA, Napster and Universal at Cornell this Thurs
- RIAA sues Internet2 users
- Apple bloggers who got into legal trouble gain allies: 8 newspapers and the AP!
- Cingular convinces bands to release songs as ringtones before singles
Example: Coldplay will release 'Speed of Sound' as a ringtone a week before radio airplay.
- MTV interviews Paris Hilton
MTV: Would you ever want to remake a [Marilyn] Monroe movie like "The Seven Year Itch" or "Some Like it Hot"
Hilton: Yeah, there's some talk.
- Demi Moore will be new face of Versace
- Kylie's learning the drums, says this tour will be her last in a while
- Foxy Brown says she didn't do it
- Atrios <3 the Decemberists
interestingly titled, slightly obsessive tribute to Fischerspooner, including some remixes and live boots:
- Way too many Fischerspooner videos
- An unhealthy dose of Emerge remixes
- Fischerspooner - Just Let Go (Thin White Duke Remix)
- Kylie Minogue - Come Into My World (Fischerspooner Mix)
- Be sure to check out his album 'Odyssey'.
Monday, April 11, 2005
All right, this is pretty exciting. It's the first giveaway on the Between thought and expression blog! And this is no lump of coal...
Here is the contest:
Tell me why you are a Kasabian fan. Winning entries should be funny and/or fanatical. Please respond in the comments section but do NOT post any personal information. I will post the winners on the site on Friday night and award two lucky fans, who will have to contact me to claim their prize.
Here are the prizes:
Grand prize winner
- Autographed Kasabian poster (red), approximately 3 feet x 5 feet (huge!),
showcasing image from the album cover (see above left). Tucked inside the
poster is the "Club Foot" single on 10" vinyl.
- Sticker pack and pins
- Club Foot single on 10" vinyl w/cover art
- Sticker pack and pins
Legalese: Void where prohibited. U.S. residents 18 and over only. No warranty provided for prizes.
- Kasabian vs. Primal Scream
LSF vs. Loaded
- Dunproofin - Rnd
New one from Dunproofin':
Lady Sovereign - Random
Hyper & Dylan Rhymes - Trigger (Terminalhead Remix)
- Basement Jaxx vs. ODB
Oh My Gosh vs. Got Your Money
- Jay-Z vs. Ween
Change Clothes vs. Voodoo Lady
- Pink Floyd vs. Franz Ferdinand
Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 vs. Take Me Out
- Death in Vegas vs. The Psychedelic Furs
23 Lies vs. We Love You
Sunday, April 10, 2005
Here's some news you can use. Since all the old Radpishare bookmarklets are outdated, use the following as a bookmarklet to bypass the annoying countdown timer:
- Time's Top 100 influential people includes the following list of entertainers:
Clint Eastwood, Michael Moore, Hilary Swank, Quentin Tarantino, Dan Brown, Dave Eggers, Marc Cherry, John Elderfield, Kanye West, Jon Stewart, Alicia Keys, Jamie Foxx, Johnny Depp, Art Spiegelman, The Halo Team, Ann Coulter, Hayao Miyazaki, Ziyi Zhang, Juanes, Miuccia Prada, Marc Newson, Santiago Calatrava, Alice Munro, Cornelia Funke
- Slashdot: Hitchhiker's Movie is Bad says Adams Biographer
- Piercing the peer-to-peer myths: An examination of the Canadian experience
Although the music industry seems loath to discuss the matter publicly, according to an October 2004 Economist article, an internal music label study found that between 2/3 and 3/4 of recent sales declines had nothing to do with Internet music downloads . That finding was echoed in a Ministry of Canadian Heritage commissioned report which concluded that "[t]he assumption by the recording industry that demand for CDs is fundamentally strong and that Internet piracy is to blame for falling sales is a simplistic reaction to a complex problem ... to place the burden wholly or partly on illegal downloads from the Internet is to ignore a host of other reasons." 
The "other reasons" include the growth of DVD sales, which accounted for zero revenue in 1999, but generated over C$170 million in new revenue from 2000–2004 . The popularity of DVDs is surely related to the decline in CD sales and the shrinking shelf space allocated to CDs by music retailers.
Moreover, U.S. census data actually indicates that the number of hours people spend listening to music is declining. Its data suggests that people now spend increasing amounts of time talking on cellphones, playing videogames, watching movies and using the Internet .
- Russian police: 'Our hackers are the best'
- Hacker High School
- Maynard of Tool pulls a fast one on fans and media
Under entry dated 07 Apr 05. He fooled almost everyone, even MTV News. Suckaz!
- Mov: DC Shoe: Basketball tricks
This is pretty amazing. (via BoingBoing).
- The Intonation Music Festival
- Mash-up: Ciara / Dizzee Rascal / Lethal Bizzle
- Blogger bummer, Friendster rant, Wilco's Jeff Tweedy on who owns culture, Shins on NPR, more
- The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It (video)
- Mash-ups: Iron & Wine vs. Alicia Keys, Gorillaz vs. Killers
- Rolling Stone: The Next List and Top 100 Artists, American films at Cannes, more
- Legal DJ Z-Trip streams
- You've heard of happy hardcore...this is crappy hardcore
- Jeff Buckley - Live Session in New York
- Random news
- Tool's frontman has found Jesus, Britney's reality, Paris Hilton / Vincent Gallo, Bravery vs. Killers, more
- Karen O and Squeak E. Clean - Hello Tomorrow (that adidas ad song) gets mashed
- Chris Price, Kid Kameleon, Mylo vs. Tegan and Sara, more mashes!
- Columbia Music Lab follow-up
- Columbia Music Lab, Peter Jennings has cancer, Vick's herpes, HST's blast
- Future of Blogging, Paris with PSP, Jamie Foxx LP, NYT Clubgoers, more...
- Mash-ups, a mix, live NIN, and Smithsonian Folkways
- Corpse Bride trailer, Flash tracking, Bruce Willis and Justin, A Christmas Story, DDR, Karaoke muzzle, more
- Mash-ups: The Killers vs. Ferry Corsten, Cake vs. Flying Lizard, Bomb the Bjork
- LCD Soundsystem vs. Janet
- Random news, including mass downloading back at universities courtesy of...record companies?
- Neutral Milk Hotel and Iron & Wine live/demos
Saturday, April 09, 2005
Pitchfork presents the 1st annual Intonation Music Festival live in Chicago. at Pulaski Park on Saturday, July 16 and Sunday, July 17. The event will feature up to 24 acts, including a DJ tent courtesy of Biz3.
The Fiery Furnaces
Will Oldham (special DJ set)
Broken Social Scene
The Go! Team
Magnolia Electric Co.
Gates will open at noon each day, $10 at the door. No advance tickets (i.e. no Ticketmaster).
Intonation Music Festival
DJCBOAST - 1,2 Step Fix Up And Stand Up Forward Riddim
Features Ciara / Dizzee Rascal / Lethal Bizzle.
Not a bad mash, but it does have some rough edges, esp. at :48 and the cut at 1:42.
Update: You're welcome, DJCBOAST. Check his site out here.
Friday, April 08, 2005
- Blogger is under severe stress. I am only able to blog using Opera for some strange reason, and even that is giving me problems. Go fig.
- So I log into Friendster and find all these new 'features', like horoscopes, groups, and even blogs. How much more useless crap can they cram into this social network? Some new services I wanna see added:
1. Menstrual period-o-meter - I think this would be useful for us guys.
2. Drug log - What kinda drugs you're on and who you can share with.
3. Poseur-o-meter - Have a feeling this will be off the charts for Friendster users.
C'mon, let's actually see services that add utility to Friendster. Ok. Time to go cyber-stalk Jenny, a blond B actress from New York. She's got a nice
- Who owns culture? (NYPL)
Larry Lessig and Wilco's Jeff Tweedy talk about fair use, music, music distribution, copyrights, remixing, and sampling.
- Wilco's Jeff Tweedy on BBC World Service's The Music Biz
(thanks to largehearted boy)
- Windows stream: The Shins on NPR!
- Why the DMCA supremely sucks
- BoingBoing: MPA/IFPI have unrealisitc ISP expectations
- Chris Rock will NOT host next year's Oscars
The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It (video)
I think this is new (new to me anyway). Nice 80s-ish flashback.
Aggro1 - You Don't Know Woman King
Iron & Wine vs. Alicia Keys
Aggro1 - Somebody Told Me Feel Good
Gorillaz vs. The Killers
Thursday, April 07, 2005
- Rolling Stone: The Next List for 2005
- Rolling Stone: The Immortals (51-100)
- Rolling Stone: The Immortals (1-50)
Top 100 Artists of All Time. Hmm, some of the selections are suspect.
- American films this year at Cannes
Selections include: Sin City (!), new Von Trier, new Jarmusch with Bill Murray, new Van Sant, new Cronenberg, and new Wenders.
- What the hell is up with Blogger? It needs life support.
- Pope's funeral to be shown online
- The new Gorillaz album has been leaked. You can find it if you look hard enough. It's certainly eclectic and quirky, as you'd expect. Sadly, nothing tops 'Feel Good' or 'Dirty Harry', except maybe the funky track 'DARE' with its sing-songy 80s/neo-disco feel. Ok, I'll concede another bright spot: 'Last Living Souls' sounds like Primal Scream meets Beck. 'White Light' may be a veiled, noisy Velvet Underground tribute.
From Z-Trip's forthcoming album, Shifting Gears, to be relased on 4/19.
I've got the promo CD and it's quite good. It has less of a mash mentality and features interesting collaborations. It's more cohesive turntablism/hip-hop than previous offerings.
These are Windows asx streams:
Z-Trip - Walking Dead
Z-Trip - Listen to the DJ
Z-Trip - Breakfast Club
Various - Bastard Rave Party
Missy vs Pink vs Kelis vs Destiny's Child vs Tori Amos vs Tenacious D vs Will Smith vs Rave Party
Happy or crappy hardcore, you decide. But it's very enjoyable. You should play this during The Clockwork Orange '1812 Overture' scene. That would be the ultimate perceptual experience.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 Jeff Buckley - Live Session in New York
Live at Sony Studios (with audience)
06/04/95 (thanks for the correction, Jack)
If you do nothing else tonight, listen to the live versions of 'Grace' and 'Last Goodbye'. Oh man, we miss you Jeff.
- Hilarious post about Apple vs. RIAA
Here's a snippet:
...both organizations still face problems with the pesky dissemination of Internet content. Terabytes of music continue to flow freely through peer-to-peer networks such as KaZaa. The result is that today’s multi-millionaire artists must make painful sacrifices such as marrying Kevin Federline.
- EzTorrent is no more =(
- Cannabis Compound Slows Artery Disease in Mice
- Don't cry for me, Italia
Tool's frontman has found Jesus, Britney's reality, Paris Hilton / Vincent Gallo, Bravery vs. Killers, more
- Finding Jesus: Tool's Maynard James Keenan Says He's Found Jesus
This is very surprising, if you've ever heard a Tool/Perfect Circle song.
Flashback: Korn's Brian 'Head' Welch Talks God To 10,000 In California Church
- Britney Spears' Reality Show Is 'A Documentation Of Love'
- Video: Paris Hilton on a lazy susan spinning around and around
By troublemaker/filmmaker Vincent Gallo
- NME: The Bravery Vs The Killers - round 2
- Mark Cuban on the impending extincion of CDs
And why DRM sucks.
- Prince of Monaco is dead
- Shins kick off tour tomrorrow
- Al Gore's new TV channel
- Apple's next toy?
Apple just licensed a chipset that is capable of not only music and video, but 3D graphics and image capturing with resolutions up to 8-megapixel...a possible video/gaming/cellphone/camera/music device[?]
Karen O and Squeak E. Clean - Hello Tomorrow. However, you may not have heard the mash-up with Eminem: Dr. B - Like Toy Adidas.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
- I wrote about synthpop artist Chris Price in an earlier post. His track, Charge Me Up has been newly mastered by Gavin Lurssen (who has mastered tracks by Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Leo Kottke, Bad Religion, P.O.D., Blink 182 and Tom Waits), and it sounds excellent. Check it out!
- Kid Kameleon
Thanks for the shout Kid Kameleon. Check out his great site on mash-ups.
- Party Ben - Walking in Paris
Mylo "Paris Four Hundred" vs. Tegan & Sara "Walking with a Ghost"
I am digging this. Sounds like t.A.T.u. meets Gwen. I dunno.
- Fischerspooner vs. Scissor Sisters - We Need A Filthy War
These go together well (via Arjan Writes).
- dj BC - Can't You Hear Biz Knocking?
Rolling Stones vs. Biz Markie. I don't know how one decides to mash such different tracks together.
last post. I think this is a big joke. The bands suck, I listened to about half of them. Downloading the music is actually a punishment, and that's all you get to download: supposed up-and-coming bands that all sound like Offspring/Korn/Limp Bizkit clones. Don't waste your time.
- Columbia Music Lab
Features free downloads for participation in their listening study. I will participate and report on what happens.
- Peter Jennings announces he has lung cancer
- Michael Vick sued for transmitting herpes
Not just fast and slippery on the field.
- Hunter S. Thompson's ashes to be fired from a cannon
What was the the last thing to go through Hunter S. Thompson's ashes mind?
- CNET: The Future of Blogging
According to the Wharton School of Business, bloggers do matter and their impact can't be ignored. But where will the phenomenon lead?
- Paris sighted with PSP
Now, if only we could see what people were doing, like in that commercial...
- Jamie Foxx invites 50 Cent, Kanye West, and Snoop Dogg to contribute on latest LP
- NYT: Clubgoer's Guide to Looking the Look
- Already in line for Star Wars
Please, there's more to life than sci-fi, ramen, anime, and wanking. At least this is for a good cause (the line-waiting, not the latter).
- Chocolate Factory poster revealed
- Aronofsky talks about 'The Fountain'
- Boing Boing: Cuitlacoche: corn fungus delicacy
Mylo vs. Kelis
'Paris Four Hundred' mashed with 'Trick Me'
Fischerspooner vs. Killers vs. Bjork
'Emerge', 'Mr. Brightside', and 'All Is Full Of Love'. (via Arjan Writes)
POP77 has a new mix
Live NIN in Davis, CA
Smitshonian Folkways music as 99c no-DRM downloads
Monday, April 04, 2005
Corpse Bride trailer, Flash tracking, Bruce Willis and Justin, A Christmas Story, DDR, Karaoke muzzle, more
- Tim Burton's Corpse Bride teaser trailer
His latest animated film features the voices of Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, Albert Finney, and Christopher Lee
- No cookies?
That's ok, we'll track you with Flash.
- Bruce Willis wants Justin Timerlake for role in Die Hard 4
No word on whether he will have Justin reveal one of his sagging nipples.
- 'A Christmas Story' House On Ebay
I want the freakin' leg lamp too.
- Boing Boing: Health insurers to fat kids, "Go play DDR"
- Boing Boing: Karaoke muzzle
Sound awful in complete privacy.
- What the hell? Even Eschaton is talking about Fiona Apple's leaked MP3s.
That is so February/March, Atrios.
- Salon: Aimee Mann's forthcoming concept album
- Eminem and 50 to tour
- The Pitchfork kiss of death, recent pans
Cropstar - Somebody Told Me To Rock
The Killers vs. Ferry Corsten
Cake vs. Flying Lizard - What I Want is some Lizard Cake
Rob Batty - Bomb the Bjork
Bjork - It's Not Up to You
Bomb the Bass - Bug Powder Dust (Kruder & Dorfmeister Session)
Who Da Funk - Shiny Disco Balls
Kraftwerk - Beethoven Intro (Tokyo 1981) - Clockwork Orange
Erik B. - Paid in Full
LCD vs. Janet - Janet Jackson is Playing At My House
'Miss You Much' meshes wonderfully in this mash.
Sunday, April 03, 2005
- AP: Students Using New Generation of Downloads
Are the music industry and movie industry finally learning?
- Slashdot: Online Business Model for a Band?
- Slashdot: Best Buy to Eliminate Rebates
- Chromewaves has an excellent post about Sin City
- NYT: Here's Why the Centrist Democrat Is Feeling Unloved
Neutral Milk Hotel and Iron and Wine live/demos
- NMH: includes two live shows, pre-1996 LPs 'Invent Yourself a Shortcake', 'Beauty', and 'Hype City Soundtrack', as well as unreleased demos.
- I&W: Live in San Francisco and live on KEXP Seattle.
- Kelly Osbourne - One Word (Chris Cox Radio Extended Mix)
- Body Poppin'!
- (S)ourmedia, Rockers who died at 27, Kelis vs. Iron & Wine vs. Massive Attack, whaaaa?
- M.I.A. vs. Squirrel Nut Zippers mash-up
- Random funny news
- Top 10 of the 1st Quarter of 2005
- No April Foolin' here
- April Fool's statement
- Podcast beta, Cinemorgue, 600673, Bjork, Digital movie theaters, Yahoo
- Evan Dando and Sabrina Brooke - Summer Wine
- New Eric Prydz promo
- Sin City, Jessica Alba, Mick Jagger's Ghost...
- Mash-up: New Weezer vs. Queen vs. Joan Jett vs. ...
- Grokster, LCD Soundsystem and M.I.A., Lollapalooza, and more
- Hot Hot Heat - Goodnight Goodnight (video)
- Hot mash-ups
- Configure Winamp to use FreeDB, other random news items
- MGM vs. Grokster
- HFStival 2005
- Videos: Gorillaz, Decemberists, live Bright Eyes, live Death Cab for Cutie, live Explosions in the Sky
- Inglorious Bastards, Bloods and Crips, Aging hip-hoppers, Bhangra stabbings, Misc. electronic promos
- Fantastic Four trailer
- New unreleased M.I.A., M.I.A. and Diplo - Piracy Funds Terrorism, Dizzee Rascal, and more grime/dancehall!
- Another slow news day
New track getting heavy Pete Tong buzz on Radio One. Not released in the U.S. yet. To be honest, I haven't heard her earlier work, but this sounds more like Pink than, say, Courtney Love (I know it's a mix and not the original).
Saturday, April 02, 2005
- MPG: Futureshock - Late at Night (video)
Just a patrolman's typical late night beat, with everybody body poppin'! (Thanks kottke).
- The Electric Boogaloos! (video clips)
Some original flava. From Mr. Wiggles' site:
While the debate still continues as of who is considered the creator of this dance, in my belief and opinion, I believe that BOOGALOO SAM created the dance called "POPPIN" that I have grown to love. The style and complexity of this dance is based on continuos flexing of the muscles to the beat while executing precise and funky angles that are based on many styles created by Sam's group THE ELECTRIC BOOGALOO. these angles provide funky and rhythmic positions for a popper to hit while flexing his or her muscles to the beat.
- Stiga (video clips)
The French don't just make electro. They're down with the body poppin' too!
- Update: Entroporium offers an account about the origin of the robot dance
Don't know if anyone can definitively settle this.
- Review of Ourmedia
Well, I am tempering, or rather revoking, my initial glowing excitement for the ourmedia resource with this fairly negative review. In my experience thus far, uploading MP3s (music that I've made myself) has led to empty nodes and zero files shared. I've even written them about it and received no response. I've registered at Ourmedia and Internet Archive as they've said to do. What the hell is going on? My theories: 1) Knowing that users may upload unauthorized MP3s (which I am not doing) they may have a more stringent screening criteria, 2) They may be biased against lossy formats like MP3 (as they demonstrate in their Internet Archive), 3) The whole upload process is buggered. Conclusion: This alpha is light years away from a beta. Well, the delay and the ambiguity renders ourmedia at this time a rather useless resource for serious musicians. There I said it. If they get their act together, they can let me know when they announce their beta.
- YuppiePunk has an interesting post on rockers who croaked at age 27
- Mash-up MP3: Kelis vs. Iron & Wine vs. Massive Attack
Amazingly, this mash-up works. Most slowed-down mashes end up in the trash bin, but this one actually holds together. A pretty bold feat to mash R&B and folk, if you ask me.
Friday, April 01, 2005
This is one of the most ill-conceived mash-ups I've ever heard. Yikes.
MP3: M.I.A. vs. Squirrel Nut Zippers
Link source: Vestal Design (Thanks, Jeff)
- Why do I love my blog?
Because of the volumes of erudite discourse in the comments section: like this battle of great minds in the Jadakiss post.
- BBC asks Marley Foundation for Bob Marley interview
...forgetting the important fact that Bob Marley died 24 years ago. I mean his music lives on in bars and frat parties with such vibrance that it can be so hard to forget this. (via Boing Boing; I can't believe this is not an April Fool's gag.)
- Salon Album Review: Moby's "Hotel"
Salon's Audiofile confirms what I warned you about in February, that Moby does indeed suck.
- Pat Buchanan gets sauced
Salad dressing attack!
1) m.i.a. - arular
2) doves - some cities
3) the decemberists - picaresque
4) beck - guero
5) jeff hanson - jeff hanson+
6) gorillaz - demon days*+
7) shivaree - who's got trouble
8) bright eyes - i'm wide awake, it's morning
9) spoon - gimme fiction*+
10) fischerspooner - odyssey*+
hm (alphabetical order):
50 cent - the massacre
antony and the johnsons - i am a bird now+
bloc party - silent alarm
the bravery - the bravery
brendan benson - the alternative to love+
buck 65 - the right here is+
the chemical brothers - push the button
dj muggs/dj warrior - mash up radio vol. 1
fiona apple - extraordinary machine*
garbage - bleed like me*+
hot hot heat - elevator*
ida - heart like a river+
jack johnson - in between dreams
kaiser chiefs - employment+
kasabian - kasabian
lcd soundsystem - lcd soundsystem
louis xiv - best little secrets are kept+
low - the great destroyer
m83 - before the dawn heals us
m. ward - transistor radio
music from the o.c. mix 4*
new order - waiting for the sirens' call*
nine inch nails - with teeth*+
of montreal - the sunlandic twins*+
out hud - let us never speak of it again+
prefuse 73 - surrounded by silence
roots manuva - awfully deep+
stars - set yourself on fire+
tori amos - the beekeeper+
the wedding present - take fountain+
z-trip - shifting gears*
worst: moby - hotel
* not released in the U.S. yet
+ haven't listened to the whole album yet (heard 2 or more tracks)
yeah, i know it's presumptuous to rate an album based on 2+ tracks, that's why this is just a short prelim list
Only full-length LPs (i.e. iron and wine's excellent woman king ep not included)
Albums distributed internationally last year but not in the states don't count (i.e. annie, the go! team, feist, mylo)
any glaring omissions? (i bet there are)
- I'm sure you've already seen boringboring, sixfoo 660, and Google Gulp so I won't re-tread that here.
- Mitch Hedberg dead at 37
- Notorious B.I.G. movie next year
"It's going to be challenging to cast a B.I.G." Names they've thrown around: Waverly W. Alford, Anthony Anderson, Guerilla Black, and Cedric the Entertainer. Ok, I'm kidding about Cedric, but they actually did mention Anthony Anderson, which is just as funny.
- Andre 3000 of Outkas sick of music